And then one night, chance came knocking on my door under the guise of the Midnight Society, a secret cabal comprised of the most wealthy and influential souls this side of the Universe. Their leader was a man named Shadow, who was equally enigmatic as he was gorgeous and, for some mystifying reason, had his dark brooding eyes focused on me.
Seduced by the promises of fame and fortune in exchange for a seemingly innocent request, I soon found myself drawn into a provocative world filled with both vast riches and unending lies and it didn't take long for me to realize what being a part of the Midnight Society actually entailed: shiny things, hot sex, and dead bodies.
There's a dark side to every love story, and this one was mine.
***Additional info: This is book one of a series entitled: The Midnight Society.
ebook, 300 pages
Published December 23rd 2013 by Strange Crow Books
Our Review---This book came to my attention after all of my new Twitter friends kept talking about it (met through OBSESSING over Night Owl **waves to Twitter pals**). It came so highly recommended that I went off the official blog reading list and bumped it up to my very next read; I'm so glad I did! Right. I think we saw it, oh I don't know, everywhere!!! And what else can we ask for. We love books. This was being raved as an amazing book. Sign us the fuck up!
Rather than recap the synopsis or try to write about the book without spoilers, I'm just going to ramble a little about all of the things I loved about Semblance. Right. It would be very hard not to spoil. And this is definitely one you have to experience. It is fun. It is hot. It is frustrating (the characters, not the writing!) It is awesome. And yes: a man did write that point of view from Aria. Promise.
1. It's witty. Aria, especially, has some funny ass one liners and I loved her snark. As someone who is an outsider to most of what is happening around her, she has clever observations about the people and events happening and can sometimes lose her filter...all of this adds up to lots of chuckles from me. She was a lot of fun. I have a lot of love for the name Aria (Yes, I am 25 years old and frequently watch Pretty Little Liars...I dare you to say something about this...lol) She is a strong character, and I loved how the piano aspect was such a huge part of who she is, because now we also know from
2. It's different. I honestly didn't know what to expect because I didn't even read the blurb before I started it. I went in blind which is a little unusual for me but since it was so highly recommended, I just jumped right in. So maybe I'm not widely read, but I don't remember reading anything quite like this...this whole secret society plotline was intriguing and kept me guessing, reading, thinking, wondering..well you get the picture. I liked that there was enough there to keep me interested but there are still so many questions that I CANNOT wait to get to books 2 and 3.
We are avid lovers of things dark and "holy shit, did that really just happen...there is no going back from that choice" plots and characters...as well as secrets, secret societies, assassins, fast paced thrill rides...so this has all of that. Not in a way that I was expecting though. It was a wild ride. And the end. Wow. Still don't have many words for the end!
3. Cambodia. That entire section was just magical for me. I know want to visit...!? Weird? I dunno. That was really beautiful. And has one of my favorite scenes from that part.
4. The last 20% was action packed and will have you begging for more. If only I had an emoticon for begging..on hands and knees..you'd see it here. Let me just say I am so freaking glad that I was reading at a time where I didn't have to do anything else but give my attention to this story. It is hard to get anything done while reading this, but totally worth it even if you are busy!
5. Shadow. I cannot forget about Shadow. He's alluring; he has a nice mix of tortured soul, alpha male, humor, and tenderness and maybe I shouldn't have liked him as much as I did...but I did. I swooned just by the name Shadow. If that isn't a strong, fitting name for this alpha man I don't know what is. He is hhmmm...if I finish that sentence I might go on to spoil. So I will keep that to myself. Read it. Just read it!
6. Lincoln, Calisto, Abraham and Justin..to name a few...not only enhanced how we viewed Aria and Shadow but also added significantly to the plot. All of these people and things said mean something, so pay attention.
I am super excited that we read this and I hope that all of you go out and read it; it's a fantastic read from a fantastic writer! Yep. Our list of obsessions gets longer and longer by the minute, and Logan's writing progress bar is one of the newest items on it. We can't wait (No pressure, right?) for the next book to come out and to continue these people's story. It is awesome!
Shelley: 5 stars
Courtney: 5 Stars
About the Author---
Logan discovered both love and heartbreak at the tender age of seven, when the pretty little blue-eyed girl next door stole his Kit-Kat bar and shared it with the bad boy from across the street. Devastated, Logan found solace by escaping into imaginary worlds he forged with words, creating kingdoms where the chivalrous knight always got the princess.
Twenty three years later Logan spends his days in a suit and tie, working for the government on matters of network security. However his thoughts never strayed too far from the incendiary nature of love — the passionate fire that’s both scintillating and dangerous. Obsessed with exploring the steamy and mysterious side of human nature, Logan continues to create worlds filled with thrills, mystery, and of course, sex.